Motivational copy translation
for B2B industrial marketers
Welcome to the Cyrillite℠, the online office of Vladimir Shelukhin. An English-to-Russian business communications professional, I offer localization of demanding field-specific marketing content to international technology promoters, niche entrepreneurial entities, global language service vendors, and other corporate translation consumers who do their business in the former Soviet Union.
A feather in my cap is the clarity and readability of the Russian copy localized to educate and pull the foreign end consumer in. Ambidextrous in language and technology, I deliver specialized translations that can be published immediately, saving the time and trouble of tardy in-country revisions. I capture the brand message with all its technical details as it was actually intended, and transfer the company’s voice into my native language, as if the whole had been written from scratch by a qualified Russian technical writer with a real creative knack.
Services to technology vendors,
resellers, and communication providers
- English-to-Russian marketing and technical translation
- Creative adaptation of product-specific content written to resonate
- Editing, proofreading, in-country layout and typography check
- Development of target industry terminology, TEnT glossary building
- DTP: value-add typesetting and page layout services
Subject matter insight
- Enterprise IT ecosystem, data architecture, ITIL, cloud computing
- Network storage architecture (special focus on NetApp), adapters, switches, hubs, routers, interconnection devices
- Cloud implementation, VMware, shared multi-tenancy, ITSM
- Digital information security, CSIRT development, OWASP, PCI DSS, PA DSS
- Data protection and disaster recovery
- Business intelligence, decision support and workflow management systems
- Document flow and enterprise content management systems
- Knowledge management systems, information acquisition, data warehousing, OLAP
- Internet technologies and World Wide Web
- Web design and Web development, WordPress platform
- Web typography
- Web standards, CSS, HTML, XML
- Internet security
- Internet advertising campaigns
- Graphic industries, printing and publishing
- Industrial graphic design and production
- Production equipment: platesetters and imagesetters, wide-format printers, plotters and cutters, screen print stations
- Prepress processes: digital galley preparation, typesetting, formatting and markup, imposition, preflight
- Editorial processes: graphic design, copyediting, proofreading
- Typography conventions, in-house guides and manuals
- Font design and management
- Organization development
- Corporate government, business administration, organizational behavior, research, surveys and case studies
- Corporate guidance: business ethics, policies, rules, codes of conduct
- Business process management and re-engineering, service design
- Administrative management: project management, records management, personnel management, performance indicators
- Human resources management, responsibilities, functions, obligations, roles
- Leadership coaching and staff development, training courses, in-house workshops, mentoring
- Publicity communication planning, promotion and advertising
- Industrial publicity and communication, technology content marketing
- Identity manuals, visions, mission statements, goals, aims, objectives, targets
- Sales scripts, demonstration scripts
- Market research and surveys: consumer habits, demand, market trends, effectiveness, impact of public relations
- News releases
- Collateral materials: sales brochures and other printed product information, Web content
Your business efficiency benefits
- One place. One person. One point of responsibility.
Business value provider vs.
Three complementary business capabilities add value to my translations:
- Subject domain and niche market insight
- Technical and creative writing ambidexterity
- In-depth knowledge of professional content file-format handling and language translation production.
Such a mix of specific skills rarely comes in one bundle, especially in the Russian translation market, which is overstocked with bargain-basement offers, yet is very short of qualified linguists who are technical, specialized, and creative at the same time.
- Clarity, style, and creativity that persuade and sell
Authentic localization for better business
No longer can technology marketers rely on a cookie-cutter creative to lead prospects into the purchase funnel. On the social Web, marketers must engage technology decision-makers through multiple channels, delivering the right message, at the right time, with equal parts authenticity and credibility,* says Bob Melk, Senior Vice President and Group Publisher at IDG Enterprise. And yes, everyone enjoys reading good writing, and not just when they are reading fiction. The executives and technical staff you are targeting are not exceptions.
I had started to write for creative agencies and to edit for newspapers years before I began to translate professionally. In order to produce outstanding work equivalent to the source text in its power to reach, engage, influence, and convert, I always do my best to see the big picture and take into account the readership that is to be advanced through the sales funnel, and then to fine-tune everything. You can forget about complaints from VARs, partners, sales or local technical support about convoluted phrasing that damages credibility rather than stimulates purchase.
* Melk, Bob. Bringing Method to Media Madness [PDF file]. — [Framingham, MA]: IDG Enterprise, ca. 2011, p. 2.
- Translation workflow without headaches
One-stop shop, a low-maintenance service provider
I am exceptionally adept at desktop publishing — that is, exceptionally for a linguist (ambidexterity in language and computer-aided production is in very short supply among translators). Beginning in 1991, I worked for over 12 years in-house, doing a bit of everything in the fields of pre-press, graphic design, commercial writing, and advertising, so I am acutely aware of how content flows in and out of key business processes.
Unlike most of my peers, I have a hand in pre- and post-translation preparation work, and always deliver my translations as publication-ready digital manuscripts, clear of the rogue formatting and observing Russian typography conventions. You no longer need to hire a Russian content manager for single-sourcing XML to MS Word round-trips, or to make your non-Russian-speaking DTP staff deal with the challenges of fixing the layout and formatting of a PowerPoint presentation in Cyrillic characters.
- Versatile translation memory expertise
Wide support of TM tools
I am a proficient TM feeder and a native dweller in translation environments (memoQ 5, Déjà Vu X, SDL Trados 2007 Suite, SDL Trados Studio 2009, SDL TMS 20xx, and XTM).
- Organic specialized terminology
Greater vocabulary than most peers can boast of
The delay in creation of new terminology in the former Soviet Union, especially noticeable in the dizzying development of the IT sphere, requires the greatest care and very specific lexicological skills to select organic, grammatically and etymologically correct Russian equivalents.
Every working day I maintain and stock up my terminology retrieval system of more than 110 personal bilingual subject matter thesauri which I started in the first couple of years of my language career.
- My signature under the work I produce
Working for hire, I take pride in my work and take responsibility for it
Anonymous translation, produced by the species of word-replacing human resource whom global translation brokers tend to hire, simply does not pay the bills, however cheap it may seem. With no face and no name, a sweatshop translator has no reputation to protect either.
By contrast, I am serious about my profession and business, and so I strongly endorse Chris Durban's “Sign Your Work” protocol. If I confirm a service order, that means I have studied your copy and satisfied myself that I am properly qualified to serve your marketing department with insightful, solid, technically correct localization that retains the original flow and effect. My name in the credits is an indication that I take responsibility for the Russian localized content I deliver.